By Nicola Santini - bon ton and etiquette expert, author of NON LO FACCIO PIU’
Among the importation festivities, Valentine's Day is certainly the one that satisfies everyone. All lovers of course. We remember last Valentine's Day as one of the last days in which it was almost obvious to go out for dinner. This year’s one will probably follow more particular notes. Or maybe I should say colours. For the avoidance of doubt, however, I would suggest a transversal proposal, which in America already has a name and which is already a trend: it's called staycation.
If on one hand we can't wait to go out and return to the old glories, on the other hand this long period at home has also led us to rediscover the pleasure of recreating special moments at home. That's why, thinking about this post, I wanted to imagine a romantic homemade tète à tète, starting from breakfast, up to the exchange of gifts.
Here are my ideas.
1) Who starts well is half the battle. Imagine a romantic breakfast in bed. It doesn't matter if he or she prepares it, these are outdated roles, and the important thing is to remember that when romance is involved, appearances also count. And for those who claim that Valentine's Day could be every day when two are in love, why not start each day like this?
2) A watch may seem like it’s the most obvious of gifts for him but, trust me, this is absolutely not true. The same goes for her.
Valentine's Day reminds us the value of spending time together. Choose a sporty or very elegant model and find the right words for a card that emphasizes its importance.
3) A ring is forever. It is not necessarily the one of a promise for life, but there is no woman who is not moved by the accessory of love par excellence. Design, geometry and all that glitters and you are rarely wrong!
4) Coordinated purse and wallet. Inevitable in the file of useful gifts, those that, if it wasn’t for her, he would risks not getting the right cut, design and materials. And even if your boyfriend is a true connoisseur, a gift that accompanies the everyday life is always very appreciated.
5) Under the dress, red lingerie. Nothing is more iconic than a seductive and sober underwear set with refined details and the colour that symbolises passion. The matching dressing gown and pyjamas completes the romantic picture.