By Nicola Santini - bon ton and etiquette expert, author of NON LO FACCIO PIU’
Spring, wedding time, time of light scarves on the shoulders, glycine colour from head to toe, out of turn electric blue, and time of people who have seen too many episodes of such programmes and who are convinced that in order to be elegant on a wedding day it is enough to wear pastel colours and put on opaque tights.
Ladies and gentlemen, I am really sorry, but it doesn’t work like that.
For men, a passe partout can be a gray or blue suit, with a tie with colours which are appreciated by the bride and the groom (the dress code is indicated in the bottom-right hand on the invitation) and maybe a boutonniere, for the girls of every age there are more rules in order to avoid to be cropped in each group photo for contempt to decorum.
- If you choose to buy a new dress, make sure it’s not the first time you wear it. Choose something which makes you feel at ease, there is nothing less elegant than an uncomfortable dress. You should wear it for many hours, unfortunately, so it is important to move with confidence.
- Inform yourself about the location: in a castle you don’t dress the way you would dress in a farm building, in a disco it’s not the same that near a swimming pool. In any case, the ideal choice would be to adapt the everyday style enhancing elegance or varying on the colours. An exercise which is not easy, to be honest.
- Shoes, always a dilemma: are you ready to stand 12 hours on stiletto heels when normally you wear sneakers? No? You have two options:
- Remain on comfortable shoes;
- Train yourself using them 3 hours each day one month before the ceremony. Of course, if the invitation is on a garden or on a beach, you already know that the super heels are banned.
- Bag: I see guests that almost use a trolley: what do you think you should bring on a party where you have just to eat and drink? Miniskirts are banned, not minibags!
- If you are the bride and the groom, and if you are not sure about the good faith of your guests, organize a white party. The All-white cancels everything: for someone white jeans and a shirt would look really elegant even with just 50 €. Of course waiters, the bride and the groom should distinguish for the colours.
- Also on black there are some different schools of thought: in my opinion in evening weddings and on long dresses it is quite pretty.
- Salmon? Leave it on the buffet. Rarely it suits on someone…