By Nicola Santini - bon ton and etiquette expert, author of NON LO FACCIO PIU’
Frivolous tips for some ideas under the tree of the dearest friends and also of ourselves.
For useful gifts there are all the other days of the year. And it is not up to us, friends. At Christmas, especially these days, some healthy lightness should be an integral part of the gift box.
That kind of lightness that sometimes is set aside when you enter a clothing store and for a moment you confuse the idea of considering our savings "invested" instead of "in clothes". There is a good news that I take full responsibility for: at Christmas time you can!
Let’s face it: each of us has already being eyeing a crazy piece, blatantly for a season and so on, the most daring have already tried it in the privacy of the dressing room and then come back and maybe opt for the classic coat, the glove that never goes out of fashion, The glasses that look good on everything, the golf jolly...OK and friends for what then? What about the friends?
Whether it is an individual gift, with a reduced or unlimited budget, whether it is one with a collective contribution (bon ton has cleared it for a long time) multifirma and multibudget the rule is one and only one: that it is useless and enjoyable. That, in essence, which does not cover any need but represents only desire, vice, whim, caprice. What’s wrong?
With a survey that taste of a long hot chocolate in these days that precede the race to the gift, with my most fashionable friends, here is the top five temptations of which we can not do without:
1) Everything is gold if glitters: sunglasses even in the fog, gold or covered with strass, large circles for earrings returned forcefully à la page and small and precious jewel bags To honour the false and dishonour of the truth, give them away and give them to yourself. They will look great even with more classic and traditional looks.
2) Shoes with vertiginous heel and exasperated toe. So much for comfort: are they going to put them once from the taxi to the restaurant chair? It doesn’t matter, but alone they would never have bought them: give a stride from a real star to the dearest friend in spite of comfort. Santa Claus says that.
3) Green light to the uncomfortable colour, improbable but sexy to fear: that pink confetto, that apple green, that yellow fluo that has always made room for beige, total black to regimental that say so much gift at a sure time! On a scarf, on a boot or a clutch bag, unleash the most daring” pantone”!
4) Lingerie: slips, lace, bras, outfits. If your best friend or boyfriend doesn’t give them to you, you risk always to passing by a filter of self-criticism useless but not pleasant. Of course, in this case a very high knowledge and confidence is required but.... take note.
5) War on boredom with a military touch: the must-have of the season are the boots, versatile, comfortable and trendy. Mimetic fantasy is also good as a profile of jackets, collars, lapels.