By Nicola Santini - bon ton and etiquette expert, author of NON LO FACCIO PIU’
Late summer in the city? Why not?
The ideas, the combinations, the must-haves for summer games when the holiday or staycation is in town.
In the last post I told you about the best way to pack a smart suitcase, while thinking about the month of August, the one in which there are those who go, those who come back and those who stay, I came up with some ideas for the ones who, by choice or by necessity, must stay in the city during the hottest period, in which everything apparently empties, in which parking is no longer a mirage, in which it is perhaps easier to find a place at the right tables, green pass in hand, and, why not, discovering that the late summer in the city could surprise us with more strengths than flaws.
But let's take care of the looks, always valid for the free time after the holiday too (or for the holiday that never started) for the beginning of September.
1) Let's start with trousers, that are long, wide, very comfortable and in fabrics that breathe like linen. Strategic if your tan is falling apart, doesn’t exist or is fading, and great against heat and insect bites. The rule of “the less I dress, the more I feel fresh” is not valid anymore. The Tuareg teaches.
Floral or total white, with geometric motifs or in very thin or oversized polka dots. With a colorful t-shirt or a shirt with rolled up sleeves. Accessories and shoes strictly in tan-colored leather.
2) The Indiana Jones 4.0 look, to explore the urban jungle. The shirt is army green – the pockets are abundant – and is knotted at the waist for the most daring women, soft for the most upright, but never inside the knee-length skirt which if it is not floral for the romantic share, it is in a shock color for the psychedelic one. The shoes are sneakers by day, furlane by night. The oversized aviator glasses please everyone and bypass the make-up.
3) The total white look is for Ibiza but the white shirt that seems stolen from his wardrobe (I insist) shifts from post to story, combined with light jeans, open over a tank top or a top, with a color knitted bag, you cannot not wear it.
4) When you read that the tank top in the city should be abolished, know that this is only valid for him. Yours will be fine ribbed, white or in neutral tones or delicate colors. And it will elegantly be placed on a slightly gypsy low-cut skirt that reveals, only to the most attentive, a rope sandal, perhaps in flame red. The glasses will be a perfect oval.
5) Midi skirt and piquet polo shirt. It reminds of Sapore di Mare, which is repeated from summer to summer, but also has the power, in the city, not to make you feel like an embarrassed tourist and allows you to feel the master of the world. Especially if you are on a bicycle and if you grab a beauty case that for the occasion will replace the it bag.